Reducing waste is key issue for UK Mail and we remain firmly committed to reducing the environmental impact of the waste we produce.
To this end, we are aiming to be able to recycle 95% of our waste by the end of 2013 and achieved ISO 14001 accreditation across all opur corporate sites. By 2016 we are aiming for certification of ISO 14001 at our franachise sites.
To help achieve these goals, we:
- Appointed a ‘waste management’ company, whose specialist focus is the recycling of waste.
- We are now recycling pallets, cardboard, aluminium cans, vending cups, confidential waste, paper and electrical goods.
- We now operate the regional bailing of waste at certain key sites and will be rolling this out business-wide.
- Installation of new fleet of printers /copiers reducing overall printer numbers from 400 to 140
- Redesigned our bagit product to use 10% less polymer during manufacturing
- Currently trialling pre-stretched Shrink Wrap which will reduce usage by 50%
- Launched number of ISO 14001 initiatives which reduced water consumption in the last year by 3 million litres
- We also issue a recycling league table to all sites to ignite some internal competition and maintain momentum throughout the year.
- This increased focus on waste management has boosted our recycling levels to 86% in April 2011 (compared with 5% in December 2008) and makes our target of 90% by 2013 seem positively achievable.